Monday, March 29, 2010

Tortie Tuesday

This is Furrydance Gweek, but all her friends call her Kiki. She is the other momcat at Furrydance. This photo was taken during the last snowstorm here, but it was sunny and the guest room has the best sunpuddle ever!

The box she is sitting on, with the plaque that says SKIDDY, is the ashes of an old girl kitty I got back from a home a few years ago. I didn't get her back because of her health issues, although she had a them-mammary cancer and asthma. I got her and her companion back because her owner was moving and "couldn't find a place that permitted pets without a huge deposit"...Yep, you read that right.

But at least this person knew how important my cats are to me and she paid to fly Skiddy and Trevor back to me. I was able to find a home for Trevor, in spite of his having HCM (he was my beloved Bo's brother) but not long after that, he was diagnosed with nasal cancer (they had lived with heavy smokers for most of their life) and his new owner, while doing hospice care at home, was against euthanasia and I fear he suffered needlessly before he passed away on his own. That still saddens me, to this day.


I promised Skiddy she would live out her days in carefree happiness here, and she did. And when her quality of life deteriorated, the decision to euthanize her was truly kind and I know she knew she was loved and holds a special place in my heart. Here is a photo of her, just a few days before she became a kitty angel...


Every Furrydance cat has their birth home to come back to, if they ever need to, but I still have lost track of 2 kitties, due to families divorcing and not keeping me updated when they change phone numbers and email addresses. I regret that deeply, and while they were in the right homes to begin with, along the way their owners forgot what they mean to me...and they turned out to be the wrong homes due to circumstances out of my control.

I have had the same email address since I started breeding Cornish Rex in 1988 and while I have moved and changed phone numbers, I am diligent in keeping in touch, as long as I am able. I always am checking PetFinder, Craig's List and Cornish Rex Friends Rescue and egroups, and know there are many Cornish Rex out there that have sadder tales and I have helped a few of them rehabilitate and find new homes. That is gratifying and I still keep track of them, too.

This is Jasmine, who had been in 3 different homes and then dumped in a shelter due to peeing outside the box. Her breeder wouldn't make a trip to spring her from the shelter and she was adopted out, but her problems persisted as each home had kids and she was a very shy and timid cat. I found out about her on the Rexcue Railroad and took her in, she rehabilitated well and has been a happy only kitty, sharing her home with a nice lady and her sweet doggie. Happy ending!

20 comments:

  1. They are all beautiful kitties; so hard for me to imagine people giving up their babies for any reason...Glad you have helped relocate some babies when needed; Teri, you have a very kind heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are very touched by the way you keep in touch with each and every one of the Furrydance kitties, wherever they may go. We think that is unusual and absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a wonderful person.
    That cat on the box? I thought it was a huge cat trophy when I first saw it. How purrfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a dedicated breeder, owner and friend. Not only to the ctas that you breed byut to the other's needing care, understanding and a new home. We are in awe.

    Today we shall purr that your 2 'missing' kitties get in contact with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too thought Gweek was a cat trophy!!! I love hearing all the stories of the kitties and knowing that no matter what you love them all...wherever they go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiki looks like a beautiful statue! Your kitty stories today touched my heart. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skiddy was beautiful. How refreshing to hear how you keep track on all your cats after they leave you for their new homes. If only everybody was so caring.
    We also thought Gweek was a very lifelike statue at first.We assume she is named after Gweek in Cornwall, which of course is close to Helston (and the Furry Dance). We live about 70 miles from there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just have to stop reading this site 'cause I'm gonna bet someone up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it would be hard to be a breeder and have to part with the kits. I think that is wonderful that you are able to track them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so wonderful that all your kitties have you to return to if they need to. While I cannot understand anyone not keeping a cat because the fee to keep them was too high (because for me that just would mean that the place was not the right one - heck, even the boyrfriend knows the kitties are the first priority). We don't comment often (though we always visit) but we just think it is so wonderful how much you care for these kitties! And they are all adorable too! We think it is great that you keep in contact with their owners and think it is sad that there are two that just stopped letting you know about them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless you. You are one in a million!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a lovely lady. To give a welcome to any of the kitties that dont work out is a lovely thing to do. I hope you get in touch with the missing two. The story of the fee reminded me of a work friend. When she met her now husband she had two cats, he said they go or me.. I am afraid she picked him. The cats who had been together always got seperated. I didn't know her then but I am afraid He would have gone and the kitties would have stayed. People just make you so mad.. LOved your post.. HUgs GJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is heartwarming and inspiring to know how deeply you care about each and every one of your cats. People who are not animal people just do not understand, do they? My Dad is always telling me "That's an awful lot of money to spend on a cat." He cares about the cats, but not nearly they way I do.

    When I brought Gracie in the very next day and requested an X-ray, my Vet could see the pain in my eyes and he said to me "Your heart is so big you must keep tripping on it." Yup, that's how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post today! You are an angel to all of them and we think it is very honorable of you to take them back anytime, with no questions asked. Mom is really loving this breed and one day, would like to adopt one. This Thursday is coming up on our 1 year anniversary of having Scooter(RIP) leave us for The Bridge. She, too, had cancer. And, even though mom is (unfortaunately) a smoker, she never smoked in the house or around us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh you sure do a good job taking kitties back and finding homes for them. That is just terrific. I am giving up some things for myself right now so I can keep feeding the kitties. People are so funny about their priorities. Thank heavens there are people like you around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great stories. Well, I am sorry that Trevor had to suffer.
    Just like a mother to her very own children - there is unconditional love for every baby you bring into this world. I like that about you Teri. I think most people appreciate trust and predictability.
    I would feel the same way, if you can't manage anymore then please bring the kitty back to me. I am so glad you find perfect homes for your kittens, and that is why you know where almost all of them are.

    Auntie Kiki is pretty pretty pretty. I hope she is feeling much better these days, relaxing in sunpuddles is the best!

    Kitties are the most wonderful animals in the world, and Cornish Rex cats are THE BEST! :-)

    and bonkbonk to all five kittens and Uncle Disco and Mom Coco!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't imagine giving up a cat because it is inconvenient, or letting one suffer because my principles. Glad you were there to rescue them.

    We're back online but at a new space: http://blog.lepak.com. Can you change your bookmarks for us? See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful picture of Kiki! Such an amazing contrast with the snow.

    We think that you're an amazing person to keep track of and take such wonderful care of your kitties!

    Charlemagne and Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how you LOVE your cats, Teri,It warms my heart.
    I, too though that it was very REALISTIC BRONZE cat!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks everso for stopping by. We love visitors!