Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thankful Thursday...If just one person learns from this post, we will be Thankful...

All parts of the lily plant (leaves, petals, bulbs, even the pollen!) are considered toxic to cats and consuming even small amounts can be life threatening. Within a few hours of ingestion of the lily plant, a cat may vomit, become lethargic or develop a lack of appetite. These signs continue and worsen as kidney damage progresses. Without prompt and proper treatment by a veterinarian, the cat may develop kidney failure in 36 to 72 hours.

I continue to be surprised at the number of people who do not know that the Easter Lily is one of the most toxic plants to cats, and how the plants are not labeled with warnings!

This time of year, every grocery store has huge displays of Easter candy, baskets, egg decorating kits and yes, Easter Lilies...all ready to be put in the homes of unsuspecting cat owners!

There are many nice alternatives to having lilies in the house (most lilies are toxic to cats, but not seen inside homes as often). Orchids, Easter cactus and violets are options, as are lovely artificial silk lilies.

Here is a link to more info:

CLICK HERE

16 comments:

  1. Thank you so much fur the info. We did not know this! Our Mommy doesn't allow ANY live plants or flowers in our home fur this very reason! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! I wish more humans knew about this too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We remember when little Miles got so sick last year. #1 hates the lilies, so we're safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to our vet, he says the kidney damage isn't reversible. All the vet can do is to prevent more damage to the kidneys. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did not know until a few months ago how toxic lilies are for kitties. And it doesn't take much to make us very, very sick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Succulents can be deadly as well! Also Carolina vines are deadly. Any bulb plant is deadly...Poisonous plant lists are online, just google..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look at the lilies with longing, but of course don't buy any. Maybe I'm lucky my townhouse has crappy light for plants. LOL.

    Anyway, happy Easter weekend to you! We hope it's wonder-full. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lilies! they is a scourge to catdom!
    We has been taught to leaves ANY plants and flowers in the house alone when we is little. Though me has been known to try to use the big pots as litter boxes.
    It is amazing how accurate Daddy is with a water pistol or a spray gun full of water!
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pay attention humans, it is impawtant stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely cats should keep away from lillies!! Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have learned, thanks so much! Even though we don't get Easter lilies because Grandmama is allergic to most flowers, we appreciate this knowledge SO much! It will help for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post with wonderful information. We can never assume that people know this kind of thing, so I agree that a warning label is in order and thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for posting this information. Hugs and nose kisses

    ReplyDelete
  14. We dont have those inside and we dont much go outside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Guys,

    It's great to meet you - thanks for stopping by to say Hi :)

    Great advice about those Lilies - who would have ever guessed - they look so harmless!!

    I hope you're all having a fun weekend,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks everso for stopping by. We love visitors!