Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New Kitten Mews...The Tortie Queen had a Tortie Princess!


Well, Kiki made me hold her paw and murmur encouraging words to her from about noontime Tuesday...Not really, but I had her at work with me and every time she meowed, the staff asked 'Anything yet?'.

I then had to leave work for my therapy appointment and thought about taking Kiki with me (my therapist used to bring her poodle to work before she passed away earlier this year) and know she would have understood (as I have birthed more babies than my vet, hahameow).

But I left her at work and got back 2 hours later, nothing new! Then I went and had my hair cut and came back in an hour, nothing new...so I made the 45 minute drive home...nothing new (Thank goodness, I have birthed kittens in the car on the drive home before...but that's when Mike was alive and he was driving!).

I got her settled into the tent at home, or tried to...she was sticking to me like velcro! I heated up some leftovers and popped a movie in the dvd player but finally gave up trying to watch it as Kiki wouldn't settle down.

About 10pm, her contractions started and I was a bit worried as this one baby looked so large on xray, but she had a short, 30 minute labor and gave birth to cutest, kinkiest furred little tortoiseshell girl kitten ever! She weighed in at 99 grams (about 3 ounces) which is perfect! She nursed within 30 minutes and while Kiki was restless all night, her kitten was happy and contented in the morning, so she must have nursed enough inbetween Kiki's moving about!


It's always fun to see what colors mother nature picked! I think I would find it kinda boring to breed something like Russian Blues, where all the kittens were blue...

The daddy, Sammy, is black and white and Kiki is a tortie and so the color possibilities are almost endless: black, blue, orange, cream (and all those colors plus with white), calico, blue cream, dilute calico, tortie. About the only colors I can't get are colorpoints or brown tabby variations.

Now, I have to think up a 'call name' for this little girl. Nothing pops right out at me. I keep thinking of 'summery' names, maybe a flower? Maybe I should have a contest to name her?

Update: It came to me...Firefly or FiFi for short. What do you think? I love fireflies! They don't have them in Oregon, where I came from, and the say 'Summer' to me, for sure! And they look black til they light up and glow...kinda like a tortie!

46 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Well done to Kiki! We're looking forward to more baby pics, of course. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world little one! She's a beautiful baby :-) What about the name Daisy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Kiki! You done good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful girl! Love the name....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my COD! I never knew Kiki was such a true raving beauty and she IS! GORGEOUS!and her baby girl Firefly too. Kiki truly is beautiful and her coat! WOW!
    Welcome sweeetest little one.

    I would have suggested Autumn because our Torties have all the warm colors of Autumn trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ConCats Kiki and welcome to the world, FireFly. we think it's a PURRfect name! She's absolutely purrecious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Firefly/ Fifi is a great name for the new kitten! Purring joyfully that she and her mom came through with flying tortie colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Firefly looks like 3 ounces of perfection ! Well done Kiki.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful new little tortie! Many congratulations to the lovely Kiki!

    P.S. We think Firefly is a purrfect name for a tortie. Our dad is originally from Washington State and he is still fascinated by them even after living back East for a long time - and he's also fascinated by torties :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to Kiki!!...Fifi is an adorable name for such a precious little girl!...Have a great week, sweet friends...xoxo...Calle, Halle, Sukki

    ReplyDelete
  11. Concats to Kiki. Firefly is a lovely name for her beautiful little baby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hurray for Kiki! The little one is absolutely gorgeous, and we think that Fireffly (FiFi) is a lovely name!

    Grow strong and prosper, pretty little girl!.

    Purrs,
    The Chans (and Tommy too!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kiki and Fifi :) That is purrfect! Congratulations on your beautiful kitteh :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to Kiki! And I think Firefly is a great name!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Concatulations Kiki! Your baby is adorable! We think the name Firefly is very cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's PAWSOME!!! Way to go Miss KiKi!!! xoxox

    Love the FiFi name but the first one that came to me was Ambrosia or Amber for short. Fifi always reminds me of a french poodle but that could be good here too!! All those curly locks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful.
    What an adorable Mommy and Baby.
    How precious.
    Love & Purrs,
    KC & Mom ML

    ReplyDelete
  18. Concats to Kiki. Firefly sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats for Kiki!!!!
    I loved the name Firefly. What is a baby cat very healthy and happy!
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found this!
    Mom was busy typing away a comment on your other blog and then when she clicked on the "publish" button, a message came up with something blahblah about her comment being to long haha

    Welcome to the world Fifi. I love it.
    She is a cutie and Kiki is such a good sweet adorable mommy.
    I am so glad that Kiki was home. She, just like all of the other curlyswirly kitties at the Swirly domain adore their human mommy, and they trust you too.
    I bet Kiki was saying" now don't go on a vacation or anything please"

    bonks and congratulations to the sweet mommy and the adorable Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are happy to hear that mother and kitten are doing fine... congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Concatulation momma Kiki and welcome to da world FireFly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations to Kiki and little Firefly - and what a little cutie she is.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Concats to Mommy Kiki! Your little Princess Firefly is absolutely gorgeous! Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Many concats! She'll be gorgeous for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh how sweet!! Conga-rats! The first cat I ever saw deliver would not cozy up to Feeders except when she was pregnant. She also demanded that she have an attendant at every birth. Someone had to lay on the bed with her for the first kitten and then she would move down to "her" closet for the rest of the kittens.

    Firefly is the perfect name for this cutie!!

    astedin - the sound made by the thundering horde of kittens racing each other!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's always fun to have a new baby around, no matter what the species. The new one is cute and will get lots of attention and loving.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh we love the name FiFi. Can't wait to see pictures of that tortie. And it goes with Kiki just purrfect. Kiki you did a great job spitting out FiFi.
    Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Welcome to the world little Firefly!!

    Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a cutie!! Congratulations, Kiki!! And we love the name FiFi!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Welcome to the world, Firefly. You are a pretty kittie, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well congrats on the new little one! I'm so happy that everything went well, and that Kiki is settling into motherhood just fine.

    I really like the name Fifi -- probably because I call my kitties that -- they are all Fifi Felines in my book! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  34. concatulations! firefly is a wonderful name!

    ReplyDelete
  35. We were going to suggest "Luciole" which is French for firefly. But it looks like she already has a name. God bless little FiFi and best wishes to KiKi. Love and kisses to both of the beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  36. ConCatulations! Well done, Kiki! Your kitten tot is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the name and such a beautiful baby,

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yay! Kittens from yer own kitty! That is really special...

    ReplyDelete
  39. How sweet! Firefly is a great name. So glad everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
  40. just a note to say that I hope all is well at the Furrydance Cattery! Thinking of you and the babies often.

    No need to reply, just thinkin' of ya.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love new baby pictures. FiFi is beautiful.

    I named your blog for an award. Pick it up at my blog - pumpkinpuddy.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a beautiful baby!

    Congrats mommy!!!

    ps. thanks for the prayer for Bear!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks everso for stopping by. We love visitors!